Internet Connection Sharing
- The settings above sometimes just does not work. I haven't yet figured out what to restart and in what order, but sometimes you just have to reconfigure the entire thing. Enablind and disabling the Internal Switch, detaching and reattaching it to the VM, disabling and enabling ICS are options you can perform in any order.
- Altought network connection over NAT is just as fast as the host connection, RDP over the port forwarding is unusably slow. I've found some forum posts about how to make it faster (NIC interface configurations) but they didn't work for me.
- In some constellation, if I connect to a VM, it asks me for my credentials, but then the screen remains blank. Also my concurrent RDP connection to the host hangs up. After some 20 seconds the VM RDP connection closes and the host connection resumes. If this happens, try reconfiguring everything.
- After rebooting the system I usually ended up losing RPD connectivity to the host machine. Every other thing worked: RDP to the VMs and even http worked on the host machine (apache server). To prevent this I had to explicitly add a port forwarding from hostmachine:3389 to 127.0.0.1:3389. Weird.
- the external NIC added as "public interface connected to the internet"
- the internal switch added as "private interface"